Birthday Cake. Last Friday I didn't get home until 9 o'clock at night. I worked all day, went to a church play, ate dinner with mom and Kate, and went home to finish sewing. Scott texted me to inform me that our sweet neighbor brought me some leftover birthday cake, and it was waiting on me! I was SOO excited. I love sweets, but being pregnant I love them even more! After sewing, I decided that I deserved a treat so birthday cake and a big glass of milk... here I come. It was delicious! By then, it was several hours past my bedtime so off to bed Gaines and I go. When I laid down, this kid starts moving like never before....a little painful. My stomach looked a like a roller coaster, and I thought he was jumping out of my skin. That sugar must have torn him up inside. This lasted for about 30 minutes until Scott got home. Daddy got on to him, and Gaines settled down for the night.
Four Days Later...
Tuesday was our ultrasound to get Gaines' measurements. Scott went with me, and he was pretty excited. The ultrasound tech put her wand on my stomach and said "Oh, what is that? Hmm.." (We can talk about etiquette and scaring your patients later.) "Have you had any large movements?" I respond with, "No, I don't think so". Well, your baby is transverse (sideways-breech position) and he has his knees in the birth canal. Damn birthday cake was my first thought! Of course I had some large movements. That stinker was flipping around on me Friday night. He was definitely head down the week prior. I have no other option but to blame it on the cake.
She couldn't even get good pictures or measurements. His face was looking at my back, and she couldn't see his stomach for a good measurment. She did estimate 6lbs 9oz which they said is only like 40 percentile so not too big - which is good.
I had 2 options basically. The first was to have a different doctor perform a version at the hospital (manually push on my stomach to make him do a somersault into the head down position). He thought it was a good chance (maybe 60%) it would work but may not be permanent. So he wanted to turn the baby next week, keep me at the hospital and immediately induce (at 38 weeks). Well, that has been #1 on my not-to-do-list - be induced early. The second option was to have a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks - which was #2 on my not-to-do-list! Everyone was really against option #1. My doctor didn't even mention the possibilty of him flipping on his own again.
As much as I did not want a c-section, that is the road we have chosen. May 3rd at 12 o'clock p.m. This moves our first encounter with Gaines up 1.5 weeks!! The past two days I have been very upset. I am coming around slowly. I have tried to accept that God is telling me there is no way you could have had him naturally (with drugs of course ;)) and this is preventing a labor that would have ended in a c-section anyway. This was hard to take in and be okay with. Most people like the idea of knowing exactly when and being able to plan. You would think I would, but I was really looking forward to the unknown and excitement. But Gaines has spoken. We go back next week for a followup ultrasound just in case anything has changed. But more than likely Gaines will introduce himself the afternoon of May 3rd!!
TWO MORE SATURDAYS TO GET MY SELF IN ORDER!
Those boys have a mind of their own! They come when they want to! It will all be fine and when he is in your arms, you won't care how he got here. We are thinking and praying for you!
ReplyDelete