Gaines has a book called Good Egg. We read it the other night, and he loved it. Each page the egg does a different trick. Then, it comes time for the egg to speak. "Speak," says the book and the egg cracks. Good egg. "Speak." The egg cracks again; good egg. "SPEAK!" And out pops a chick. Good egg.
This is not story time, but I think this mentally prepared Gaines to start talking more. Maybe. I might be a naive mom, but I truly think Gaines understands almost everything we say. We have a lot of routines so he gets the same verbage over and over. I see it in his eyes, but he just won't cooperate and say what I want him to say. Gaines spent the 4th with Scott's family. When we got there, Gay says that he has been talking today. He does say a good bit (bye, hey, uh-oh, ball, dada, mama, his own version of cracker/cookie, whatsthis, etc.). But you never know how much you are wanting those sounds to be words and how much they actually are. You also doubt when someone else says he is talking. Its just one of those things you have to hear yourself.
Gaines said quack quack for the duck. You don't know how much we play with that stupid rubber ducky and sing duck songs and that boy refuses to talk for me! Gay did something right. He was saying it clear as day.
Then, comes the best of all. Rob. I mentioned last time Gaines loves Rob. I don't really know how to explain it to help you get the full picture. But its crazy. Well, Gaines said "ROB". He will say dada and mama. But I would say 99% of the time he is not calling us. He calls Rob. Its so cute!!
The best and most exciting part of this for me is - Gaines said Rrrrrrob. If you haven't known me for long, you wouldn't know that it probably took me 10 years to say the "rrrr" sound. Yes, I could probably break the world record for oldest kid in speech. (Well, maybe not. But it felt like it. Especially when all my speech friends graduated, and I had to come back for another year by myself in like 5th grade!) Oh, I hope he doesn't get my speech genes. He can say "rrrrrr"!!! I am so proud.
Good egg.
I remember thinking that your rrr sounds were so cute! And it seemed like y'all had all the fun in speech class!
ReplyDeleteIt's so cute that he loves his uncle so much. Precious!
Miss you.