This morning I had the ultimate honor of running a race in honor of my friend Kate Calvin Horton. There is nothing like it. Today was very humbling and a true blessing. Kate is one of the kindest people I know. We both graduated Mississippi State in Landscape Architecture but went our separate ways. A couple of years later, we met up again working for the same firm in Memphis. For two and a half years, my desk was next to hers. We actually faced each other with a glass divider between us - which took awhile to get used to :) Kate is one of a kind.
{I knew when I left my last job that it would be hard to find bosses as nice as those and co-workers as awesome, fun, encouraging, etc. as these (and those not pictured). I had no idea how right I was. While I truly believe it was the right move, those relationships will never come close to being replaced.}
Kate was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in April, had her first surgery within days, and started chemo within the month. Since then, she has had a second surgery and started another round of chemo last week. Over all these months, surgeries, treatments, sickness, bad days, pains, etc. Kate still works when she can and believe it or not still runs! And runs fast!! She has run in several Memphis races this summer and plans to continue running races this fall. Teal for a Cure was held in Memphis today to raise awareness for Ovarian Cancer. Team 5-Kate was set up for friends and family to run with (or behind) Kate and support her. Kate won the team competition with the most members - over 120 people. She also ran after chemo on Thursday and Friday of this week.
{I didn't catch on to the play on words here until after this race. I am crazy. I thought they were like the 5th team to sign up so they chose Team 5. Yeah, that would be Team 5-K(kate). Oh, I would like my brain back.}
I have never been a runner. Or exerciser for that matter! I enjoy it and go through cycles [being hard core 4-5 days a week active exercise and weight training to "what are tennis shoes again?"], but never a distance runner. I can remember the exact spot and the exact treadmill where I first (and last until today) ran 3 miles. University of Michigan Recreation Gym in Ann Arbor, bottom floor, orange room...wait no, not the orange room. So I don't have a great memory after all. (That day I am pretty sure I was honoring my wedding dress. Today was so very different.) During my most recent cycle of intense exercise (that being pre-Gaines), I did a lot of running but it was strictly intervals not distance. And we all remember my embarrassing 5K time back in the Spring. When I saw Teal for a Cure, I was determined to participate and really wanted to run ALL of it. First of August, I started running at home. I really enjoyed it and got up to 1.5 miles. September, well September was a bust. So today I didn't really know what to expect. After today, my excuses are unworthy to be written in this post.
Being in a group that big is pretty awesome. I started close to the back because I didn't want to get run over. But with 700+ runners/walkers, it takes the whole group awhile to get moving. Probably by 1/4 mile and for sure 1/2 mile we were tight but all able to move at our own pace. The course was actually pretty hilly (for me) but probably more like bumps for you experienced runners. Odd thing, they didn't bother me. There were eight year olds in front of me and grown men behind me. Lots of strollers. The biggest shocker...I couldn't believe I wasn't last. The first mile may have been my fastest ever. And! Mile 3 was not my slowest according to Nike :) The Memphis atmosphere is much better than my lonely neighborhood streets too.
Kate. Well, Kate placed 3rd in our age category. And she was the first survivor to cross the finish line! Like I said earlier, she's fast. Me. Well, I was breathing in her smoke she left behind. She ran an 8.5 minute mile opposed to my 12.5 minute mile. She was there to cheer and high-five me across the finish line. Backwards, I know. I was so blessed to be a part of this Team and support such an awesome person. I thank the Lord for the blessings in my life that I could run today and that he carried my feet on those streets of Memphis.
I saw a father and (little) daughter running together. You can't run for this cause and be amongst people of all different walks of life and not wonder how this disease has affected them. Are they survivors running? Are they in the midst of chemo? Did this disease take their loved one? Their mother? Their daughter?
I really knew/know very little about ovarian cancer. A couple of years ago a friend from freshman year of college lost her mother to the disease. That was my first real thoughts of ovarian cancer. And I knew how fast it crept in and how difficult it was to change its course.
When it now affects someone my age, its impossible for it not to change your perspective. I've heard how so often its found too late in progression. Kate has had a good fight the last few months. And has more hard months to follow. I pray for her continued strength and endurance and positive attitude. She is a one of a kind, lives life to the fullest, and inspires all of those around her.
Getting my game face on! And praying for the Lord to make my feet light :)
and lift the hearts of those running and affected by ovarian cancer.
Being in a group that big is pretty awesome. I started close to the back because I didn't want to get run over. But with 700+ runners/walkers, it takes the whole group awhile to get moving. Probably by 1/4 mile and for sure 1/2 mile we were tight but all able to move at our own pace. The course was actually pretty hilly (for me) but probably more like bumps for you experienced runners. Odd thing, they didn't bother me. There were eight year olds in front of me and grown men behind me. Lots of strollers. The biggest shocker...I couldn't believe I wasn't last. The first mile may have been my fastest ever. And! Mile 3 was not my slowest according to Nike :) The Memphis atmosphere is much better than my lonely neighborhood streets too.
Kate. Well, Kate placed 3rd in our age category. And she was the first survivor to cross the finish line! Like I said earlier, she's fast. Me. Well, I was breathing in her smoke she left behind. She ran an 8.5 minute mile opposed to my 12.5 minute mile. She was there to cheer and high-five me across the finish line. Backwards, I know. I was so blessed to be a part of this Team and support such an awesome person. I thank the Lord for the blessings in my life that I could run today and that he carried my feet on those streets of Memphis.
Here is one for the books...I don't do selfies but Kate's mom insisted :)
Teal for a Cure 5K Stats:
#304 out of 751 finishers
#183 out of 530 women
#29 out of 78 participants age 30 to 34
I really knew/know very little about ovarian cancer. A couple of years ago a friend from freshman year of college lost her mother to the disease. That was my first real thoughts of ovarian cancer. And I knew how fast it crept in and how difficult it was to change its course.




Congrats on your race! Maybe you'll end up getting the running bug after all ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm keeping your friend, Kate in my thoughts!
My mother-in-law is battling ovarian cancer too. She was diagnosed about 10 or so years ago and went into remission... twice. It is back again, but she is a strong woman and a fighter!
Ha! I hope Kim. But I CANNOT imagine doing your type of running. Half and full marathons....wow! And I will keep your mother-in-law in mind. She is a fighter. Love the house! Enjoy your home improvement projects :)
Delete