Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Our Labor Day

My Labor Days are spent so differently now. Growing up it was ALL about the hunt...day in and day out. We would have lots of company in town. My Dad and his friends would hunt all day and bring home a delicious dinner. I even made my hunting debut for a few years. I wasn't that good of a shot, but I made $1 for every bird I picked up. I might have been money hungry?! Not sure what was wrong with my mind. Over the years, people have moved on, times have changed, and my Dad doesn't hunt anymore (never thought those words would come from my finger tips). So every year in the wake of Labor Day, its always a bit of a toss for me. I am not real sure what to do and what plans to make. This year, the holiday really snuck up on me. We had zero plans, and I was really looking forward to it. Naps. All I could think of was naps. Lots and lots of naps. 

Although, I can never sit still for long. 

Our weekend quickly filled up. We took a mother-daughter shopping trip on Saturday which was fun. We haven't done that in forever. Mary and I spent the day together after Christmas. But I really can't remember the last time we went with my Mom - no kids. I know there has to be something more recently. Honestly, the last time that comes to mind is when they found out I was pregnant, and we took a special lunch day. This weekend we kind of thought it was fitting considering Saturday was the SEC football opener, and we left the kids home with their Dads :) The three of us headed to Starbucks (score) and then for shopping. At about 2pm, I think we had all we could take [considering I went with no money and spent more than I should :)] and stopped for lunch. We had lots of good visiting...but back to reality we went! 

Sunday was another unexpected family day at my Aunt and Uncle's house. They cooked out for one their kids being in town. Mary and I took the kids and gave the Dads a break. I really didn't expect to stay long. Very rarely, meaning never, do we let Gaines go without a nap. Now, at daycare sometimes he won't sleep, but I know its not because they are not trying! Well, he was so busy Sunday afternoon that I don't think a nap ever crossed his mind. We haven't swam in over a month, but that didn't stop Gaines. He loved the big pool, baby pool, and hot tub. He even jumped off the diving board!!! I wasn't good at taking pictures. I wish I had one of Gaines and Emily playing on the horse swings. All of the grandchildren and some of the great-grandchildren grew up playing on these at my grandparents. My uncle took them when we moved everything out. They had a big time. 

This was Gaines ready to go swimming. He was so excited. 

Then....on to the farm adventures. Gaines loves to talk about roosters and chickens so I thought he might enjoy seeing them. The kids went down to the barn for a little chicken petting. I can't believe he wasn't scared of them....I was!!







My Uncle also has an old Marine truck. The kids (and adults) loaded up for a ride. I knew Gaines would be a little wary with the noises, but he overcame his fears :) It had a loud siren. I think Gaines imitated that siren sound for the next hour.



(please excuse me)

Monday, we ventured back to Southaven for item returns I had purchased on Saturday. Fun. Actually, it was a nice little "get out of house". And we got lunch on the way home. We ended the weekend with our Supper Club cookout: delicious food, friends, and one sweaty boy! 

And no nap ALL the weekend :( I am still left craving a bacon wrapped dove! So please feel free to deliver one to my door step anytime over the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment