Monday, February 10, 2014

A dream come true...I think

It is actually April. But my weird mind wants this posted in February since that's when our trip was. I am really behind on some blogging.

I don't even know where to begin! Snow skiing has always been one of those things I really wanted to do and kinda thought I would never do. We finally made it happen. A small group of our close friends booked a five day trip to Park City, Utah for skiing at Deer Valley Resort. We were gone February 5th thru 9th. It was great. Its hard to really ski for the first time in three days. But then again on that 3rd day I was worn out and don't know if I had another day in me. 

We left Memphis Wednesday for a direct flight to Salt Lake City. We arrived about 10 am. A car picked us up and took us to check in and then to lunch. We couldn't get in our condo until later that afternoon. We ate lunch at a popular place called "No Name Saloon". It was delicious. Pork tacos were the best. I wasn't impressed with the staff when they questioned by 'well-done' beef and they question my drink choice. I wanted to say just write it down. Anna and I had a little trouble adjusting to the altitude, but everyone else seemed find. 

The view out No Name Saloon. The temp here was in the 20s. It felt sooo good. 

We were so impressed with this heated bench. It would literally burn if you sat too long. 





Main Street View. We walked around before checking in.


This is a view up a side street off Main. The houses up that hill was one of the places we looked at staying. I am glad we didn't....do you see all those flights of stairs in the back ground!

After we unloaded at the condo, we rode the bus up to Deer Valley to look around. We rode this thing up the mountain to the St. Regis which is a hotel (maybe?) and expensive restaurant with an awesome view. 

Ski Rental time!!!! The hill in the background is one of the 2002 Olympic runs.


We skiied out of Snow Park Lodge everyday. Its at the base of the mountain. I think there are two others that you ski out of up the mountain. That is where we started our ski lessons on Thursday morning. Ski lessons. Wow. This is the point where I thought what in the world was I dreaming about this for! I put those skis on for the first time and uggghh!! It is the most awkward feeling ever. The instructor asked Anna and Scott all about their athletic history...do you think it was that obvious I didn't have any??



We spent about an hour maybe learning to maneuver the skis. Then he said it was too crowded and let's go to Silver Lake. I had looked at a map. I knew Silver Lake required you to go up the mountain which involved the ski lift! I thought we would be moving up to this moment...not hit it in the first hour! I was soooo scared. We rode one of the lifts in the picture below. 

  
We rode up to the middle part of this map where you see all the red lines connecting.

The lift was actually gorgeous! It wasn't snowing that morning yet and you could see all the way to the Park City ski area downtown. This is when he still liked me...before I made him fall on the first lift :( I knew it would happen. I got our skis tangled and we both busted it. Scott actually broke his ski! So we had a slight detour in our lesson.

  




By the end of the lesson, we were going down "Trainer" which is a short hill in between a bunch of other runs. We met the others for lunch...took the boots off to rest my feet...and headed back out. We skied Trainer the rest of the afternoon. Until it was suggested we try "Judge". Judge was the bigger hill that connected to Trainer. Much steeper. I busted it an the very top but grew to like Judge by the end of the trip. 

This is at the top of Trainer. We went under the bridge in the background. 

Looking back up Trainer

At the bottom of Trainer...about to ride the lift back up.

At the top of the lift...we ate lunch at this lodge.


We ended this first day of skiing in the hot tub!

No comments:

Post a Comment