Saturday, July 5, 2014

Happy 4th of July!!

I was pretty excited about a holiday at home with my boys. Our 4th is usually packed with hopping from house to house like every other holiday. I wanted to dial it back a bit so we could enjoy some quality moments and minimize the "toddler" moments. The plan was to get to the pool when it opened. It didn't go exactly as planned. Gaines had fun but didn't enjoy it like he normally does. He asked to leave after about 45 minutes. He was going on no nap the day before, a 10pm bedtime the night before, and an early rising. He did enjoy playing with his friends who also got there early. Nothing cuter than some little boys in sunglasses!


We left the pool before lunch to celebrate Pop's birthday lunch. Of course, we had to bring candles and make everyone sing. That isn't a usual custom, but Gaines loves it so we initiate it. Everyone needs to be sung to on their birthday. Gaines did not want to leave. But I knew how bad he needed that nap. Preferably a 4 hour nap. We had a meltdown on the way home (just one for a holiday is great with me). It was the kind where he just uncontrollably cried and screamed. He didn't know why. Nothing I did made it better until he basically just cried himself to sleep - around 2.15pm. With Scott in the field, I was kinda lost what to do with myself. I don't have many hours alone. I thought about laying out, working out, blogging, working on Gaines annual picture book, reading, and then napping. I felt guilty, but it ultimately won. I fought it until about 3.30pm, then woke up rested at 5.30pm :) My sweet baby woke up at 6.30pm!!! This was so needed to ensure the second half of the day went well.  

We headed to the Country Club fireworks later that night. We picked up Uncle Rob for the festivities. Gaines loved riding the golf cart. He hasn't done that in forever. 


We stopped by the Dixon's house for a quick visit before taking our spot on the range. Gaines was not social and preferred to stay in the cart the whole time. 



Watching sparklers from a distance. 

We drove over to get a good spot. Kids everywhere had sparklers. He actually wanted one. I didn't think to bring any fun little things for him in the dark. 
Oh well. He was fine.



I can't believe we got Rob to participate.

I tried to warn Gaines about the loud noise. He didn't like the warning so I let it go. The fireworks started before we were "set". Gaines was startled. I put the quilt out, and we sat and watched the entire show. His ears were covered of course, but I think he really loved it. He was pretty intense!



Afterwards, I wanted one more with my boys. 

Happy 4th of July!!

No comments:

Post a Comment