This has been a long time coming. Our child is 3 years and 2 and a half months old. His baby bed occupied his room until yesterday. Gaines has never climbed out or even thrown his leg over the side. He loved his bed. He loved snuggling up under the bumper pad. We had the really thick kind you weren't supposed to use for fear of suffocating. Gaines always preferred a lower oxygen level whether it was the snuggie over the face or burying his head in a pillow or bumper. All of these reasons along with our own fear of change are the exact reasons for this late post.
We got mixed reviews regarding our baby bed decision. My mother in law was really the only one on our side. She said her boys were in baby beds until they were 4! I agree. Don't go fixing what ain't broke. The flip side we got a lot of persecution. (Maybe that's a little strong.) And this was from my mom! She couldn't come over without asking about his bed, asking why I haven't changed to a new crib skirt, or wanting a timeline for crib disassembly.
On vacation this year we started a trend that I have tried to avoid for 3 years. Sleeping in Mama's bed. We had a king bed on vacation. We let him fall asleep with us before moving him to a pallet. Over the last couple of months, he will ask ever so often to sleep in our bed. Or to nap in or bed. Or "you have a big bed Mama". I think it was probably half and half. He was ready but some of that was avoiding bed time all together. He has many tricks up his sleeve. Regardless of vacation, the new sleeping arrangement was on my to-do-list before he started school in August.
My countdown was quickly approaching. I just couldn't find what I had envisioned, and I didn't want to make anything at this point. I finally made some decisions. The new room was kind of centered around these pillows and the fact I didn't want to paint the walls. I got one of these pillows as a baby shower gift and the other two I bought 3 years ago waiting for this time. The bed I have also had for almost 2 years. I bought it for $50 at a antique shop. It just needed a little loving.
Scott has been the biggest procrastinator regarding this issue. He hasn't been happy about it one bit. He even wanted to prolong the change one more night. He wanted Gaines to stay in his baby bed and baby room for ever. Here are our last good byes...
I didn't even know he could do this until last week when he was showing off for cousin Emily!!
One last jump...
Sad boys :(
Helping with his new sheets :)
Last night he slept with the mattress on the floor while the paint dried.
He has loved the change! Last night we played "sick" in the bed and had to get our doctor tools out. He slept all night and came and found us this morning around 7! We were proud. Tonight I was able to get most everything put together. There are still a few things to work on like new curtains. But he doesn't even know what curtains are so I think I am good for a little longer!
Showing Daddy our finished product!
We played pretend sleep for a good hour tonight before actual bed time!
I have never seen somebody so excited for bed :)
This is really what he has looked like the last 2 nights!
Welcome to the big boy world, Mama and Daddy!
Ready or not...
No comments:
Post a Comment