Sunday, June 30, 2013

Family Vacation 2013

I can't let the month of June pass without blogging about Gaines' first, true vacation. This will be a slight overload of pictures - so sorry in advance. I plan on making a vacation picture book, but I want them included here too. 

Bailey Family Vacation 2013 - Perdido Key, Florida

This was a pretty big adventure for the Crocketts. Not only was this Gaines first vacation (aside from the cabin weekends), but Scott and I have not been on the family vacation in probably three years. And then we didn't even do the whole week. I would venture to guess we probably haven't participated in the week long Bailey family vacation since we have been married. (For some reason that is too hard for me to remember back that far. I wish I could get my pre-pregnancy brain back.)

We didn't even mention the beach to Gaines until 6.45 a.m. on the morning we were leaving. I knew he would have no clue as to where we were going. Also, we were riding with my mom and telling Gaines we were going anywhere in Mammaw's car is just a disaster unless you are about to load up. He loves is Mammaw and her car! By the time my mom pulls into the driveway, Gaines is yelling "go to tha beeech"!!! "Yeah!!" Even when we would stop and get back in the car, he would be ready to "go to tha beeech!" It was pretty funny to see him so excited about something he didn't know a thing about. I don't think we could have asked for a better travel experience on the way. He really surprised me. I took a present with us for one of the (many expected) breakdowns. We had to use it between Jackson and Hattiesburg. Can you guess what it was? Why yes, it was train. Diesel 10 to be exact and he was soooo excited! That got us through lunch and finally a short nap. He only slept an hour in the car!

Once we finally made it to the condo, Gaines was so excited. We all loaded up the beach toys and headed out. Now, I am usually a little obsessive with the camera, picture documentation, and being on your best behavior. So I made the conscious decision to leave the camera inside on this first outing. I thought the lack of added pressure of trying to take his "first" picture playing in the sand and water and whole beach experience would be best. Well, I regretted that decision all week! He loved the ocean. Had. A. Ball. He even surprised me with how well he played in the sand. I only have those memories and no pictures. And imagine this - that was the only day he loved it that much! But I made up for those pictures later in the week :)

I am glad we went to the beach and pool right when we arrived Saturday afternoon because Sunday and Monday were very gloomy with bad thunderstorms, heavy rain, and wind. It was actually really cold to even sit on the balcony. Our power was out for half the day on Sunday! We spent it all cooped up inside playing beauty shop, watching the iPad, playing trains, and having push up contests.







Gaines got used to the inside pool and loved it! It didn't take him long to start jumping off the side and kicking those feet. Monday afternoon was still a little gloomy, but we got to go to the beach for a little bit. 






  

The rest of the week we were headed to the beach by 9.30 or 10 in the morning. We would stay on the beach until Gaines finished his snack in the shade and then he was ready to head back to the pool. Yes, my baby preferred to sit in his beach chair with a cup of juice and a bag of snacks under the umbrella. 







After snack time at the beach, we headed to the pool for a couple of hours. Gaines took to the pool fast! He loved it. The best thing about this condo (that we have never had before) was the zero entry pool. It made it so easy with a little one. Gaines was ready to jump in or be thrown in. He didn't care!






Nap time was a must. And Gaines didn't fight it - not one time. He needed it badly! After we got a few hours rest, back to the beach we went. The afternoon trip usually was much shorter than the morning.




This picture definitely needs a caption...
(Gaines is eating and drinking watching the ocean.)
Emily: "Gaines do you want to build a sand castle?"
Gaines: "Yeah!" (turns his head to the side to watch and doesn't move a muscle)




We would finish up the days with a little down time. Blowing bubbles on the beach, flying kites, playing in the fountains. 




The last day Gaines and Emily decided the were ready to play in the ocean. So in we all went. 



One might ask how we got Gaines to eventually play at the beach....walking trails made out of towels and this successful purchase...


Family time was worth it all...
 



The Crocketts enjoyed their beach time. Guess we will be back!

2 comments:

  1. The beach pictures were great. My favorite was the black and white one of you and Gaines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful (and successful) vacation! I love the picture of the three of you right at the water and Gaines has his hands up. What a cute family you three make!

    ReplyDelete