Friday, August 30, 2013

Book Review #3

Well, this third book went a little slower. It was good, but its hard for me to get real into a book when I have to put it down and pick it up constantly. I have been so busy. This book has a been a chapter or two during my lunch break a couple times a week. Nevertheless, I would recommend it. Maybe not as high on my list as the others, but good. I am on to #4 next...I can already tell its gonna be a tough one and hit me square in the eyes. I don't really want to go in order of this list, but these first 5 I have had forever! I am ready to put them on the 'read' shelf.

1. Greater by Steven Furtick
2. Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst
3. Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson
4. Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
5. Soul Detox by Craig Groeschell
6. The Circle Maker
7. Praying Circles around your Children
8. Bringing Up Boys
9. Sheparding a Child's Heart
10.Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Just isn't Good Enough 
11. Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
12. Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick
13. Let it Go by Karen Ehman
14. Stressed Less Living  
15. Taking Joy to Heart 
16. Lineage of Grace and The Man of Lions by Francine Rivers
(have yall heard of the last author?? my hair girl said they are really good. 
Fiction, historical settings, biblical characters and themes..)

Book Review:

I chose this book during a time when needing to breathe was a daily, desperate act. But like the cover says, its not a book for the 'depressed' necessarily nor about despair. It really is just as it says a "story of one young mother's trials and one experienced mentor's exhortations" "filled with encouragement, help, and answers". The two authors are at two different stages in life; one is the midst of the hard motherhood days, and the other has perspective to offer. Most of all for me...normalcy. We are much more alike than I ever thought. All moms go through the same things, struggle with the same issues, worry about the same situations...I don't have to feel bad and judge myself on those days its harder than others. But I can redirect that insecurity to God, who fills me with his grace and frees me from guilt....if only I let him. 

There were times when I caught myself being too sensitive to my position working outside the home. I don't know why we do that. There is no room and no energy for judging others' family plan or jealousy, for that matter, of others' family plan. Regardless, all mothers experience the same thoughts, challenges, and desperations. God designed each family different. At the end of the day regardless of where we spent it, we are all mothers with the same calling. 

Again, here is my highlight reel...I really don't have many captions. I can't add much to the words that spoke to me the first time.


Over the past 2 years, this is exactly what I have needed to hear multiple times. I am the exact mom that Gaines needs even through all my imperfections :) And oh, how a happy home rings true for the Crocketts!






Why is rest so hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment