Saturday, May 24, 2014

Five Star City Fest

It's been seven days and that is still hard for me to type. {It's actually been longer than that now. Apparently, it was harder than I thought! A few weeks later...} Five Star City Fest 2014 began in January. Since then, a committee of 10-15 people have met and met and worked and worked. It actually began a year ago when a few made the decision that changes were needed to Mayfair. It is crazy trying to plan something from ground up not having a clue what to plan for or expect. 

I can't even begin to explain the experience and not sure if I want to relive it :) Any kind of community effort takes an abundant amount of volunteer hours. You will see that in anything done around town...the new Sycamore Park or the alcohol vote or the baseball complex and tourism tax vote. And don't forget money. We had a budget more than 10xs what the normal Mayfair budget was...which include a lot more planning and details and vendors and SPONSORS! Amazingly it was pulled off in just those short months. It turned out to be a huge success. Senatobia would be a town I would say is known for its negativity. I couldn't believe that I did not hear one negative comment from anyone during the Friday night event. Everyone talked about how great it was and how they couldn't wait to see how it grew in years to come. Friday night we had the Downtown Dash 5k and three different bands along with food and drinks. 









Saturday, I would also call a huge success also. It started out with perfect weather. We had more vendors than normal and some new, unique ones. We had a much larger kids area with many newer vendors. It was complicated to organize all the different kids vendors and some how streamline everything. The vendors left happy so we were pleased. A big rain came around lunch but cleared off after about an hour. Surprisingly, the crowd stayed and more came. There was still a large crowd when we shut down. 






Gaines came early and I actually got to enjoy a little time with him :)
He was actually scared of the train ride. I walked beside him and he cried to get the whole time. 


We made it early enough that he had the bouncies to himself and loved them!


Don't think for a second that I wasn't in there with him. You know that is a must!




Bailey climbed to the top!!

And Emily flipping on the trampoline




Here is Gaines supporting the Tourism Tax and the new ballfields!!



Of course, we didn't water walk. I would be so claustrophobic!!


Magic Show in the rain :(


Car Show had a good turn out too.


Gaines enjoyed some games too!



He even milked a cow!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!!!




And he got a milk mustache :)

No comments:

Post a Comment