Monday, May 6, 2013

Thanks for sharing our special

Birthday parties......aaaahhhhhhh....Birth-day par-ties. If you have ever planned one, you can fill in with your own stories, laughs, stresses, etc. But nothing beats them. And we keep going back for more. Scott is not a big birthday celebrator. I just think its awesome and fun and lots of memories. I remember (from my days) birthday parties filled with family and friends and planned events or no events, homemade food or pizza hut buffet, but memories nonetheless. I hope Gaines looks back at these as memories and not torture!

So we celebrated round #2 this weekend. May is such a busy month for everyone. We had a time planning around everyone's schedule and May Fair next weekend. It ended up being on the same day as a good friend's birthday party. I just want to thank everyone for coming with full schedules of your own. And to those who celebrated two parties in one day, special props to you! I know your babies were worn out but probably not as much as us parents :) One good thing about the party before the 'actual day', it takes a little of the personally added pressure off, and I can enjoy that little one on one time without thinking of cleaning, cooking and sewing (that special outfit that he didn't even wear because it was winter in May). 

All in all I think Gaines enjoyed the day. I feel like I should apologize to Gaines even though he doesn't have a clue. I get in my own little messed up world and pass my pressure off on him. He was a little ornery, but after talking with others, they helped me see he really was pretty good. I watched a little of the video segment (where in my head I remember him crying and whining) and that sweet thing was sitting in his chair (where we abandoned him forever) eating and playing and enjoying Thomas the Train pictures. Imperfect motherhood. That's what it is. And I am so glad and pray I have many, many more years of imperfect motherhood with this precious boy.

In the midst of the party, I admit I thought and professed 'no more parties'. I really didn't mean it, nor meant it to sound ungrateful. I just wanted Gaines to be his fun little self in the midst of a crowd. But hey his parents are anything but easygoing, so why should I put that expectation on him! It was said several times Saturday Gaines' birthday must be cursed. <outside of family only maybe one friend knows this story> I have learned over these two birthday parties to....well I really don't know what I have learned except to.... survive the moment. 

Last year, his party started at 11 a.m. At probably 10.30 a.m., we get the call that my Dad has a liver donor, and he needs to be at the hospital ASAP. So off my mom went and left us here to wait since we didn't really know what to expect and the prep process of even getting the organ here can be hours. Talk about being ready for a house full of guests! I couldn't have made it through without my sister and mother-in-law. I don't even know what they did but just relieved and filled in where needed. Halfway through I found out the donor liver was not as healthy as we hoped so they were just waiting to be discharged which relieved some pressure. 

This year, his party started at 4 p.m. At 3.50 p.m., we get the call my uncle just suffered a massive heart attack and was not responding to CPR or heart shocks. Round #2 welcome the guests at the door! Awful news, with a cursed birthday, and a two year old's non-sharing ability = 'no more parties'. I don't mean for this in any way to sound - I don't know - however it shouldn't. These parties in the scheme of everything are not important at all. And the thoughts of my grieving family are. 

Anyway, all in all - like I said I think Gaines had a good day. I have already professed to Scott my party resolutions and 'don't let me do that next year' list. Come next spring, I am sure I will forget. And whatever way, we will be blessed to celebrate the third year of Gaines in our lives. 

So on to what you really thought you were getting...Birthday Party in action photos. I failed to mention after all this the theme. But if you have read any previous posts, I am sure its not a shocker - Thomas the Train!! I made the invitations, cupcake toppers, treat tags, etc. I saw some cute ones on Etsy but decided to do the homemade route instead. Gaines enjoys all the kids at his party. That's why we tried to keep this list small. He knows them all from family, church or daycare. Two little magical friends that we couldn't have gotten through the day without are Sydney Kate and Jack. These two literally have magic powers over Gaines; we run to them for rescue it times of breakdowns. Being around Sydney Kate can calm Gaines like I have never seen. And Jack - Jack can do no wrong. Gaines was more than slightly selfish with all his trains except he allowed Jack to hoard all the trains and take them away. Gaines never checked up. Magical friendships. I love them :)
A little pre-party gifts...
  

Gaines got two bicycles...one a little bigger and 
one that couldn't be a better size right now. 
He loves them both!












Jack-the clepto- stealing all the trains :)



Three cute friends...

Henry wanted Gaines' seat, but felt
bad and wanted Gaines to sit in his lap!!

As Thomas the Train would say, Thanks for sharing my special with me!!!! 
Thomas shares his special deliveries with all of his special friends. 
Happy Birthday party-day to Gaines!!!

2 comments:

  1. The party was great. I am sorry I missed most of it due to my craziness. My boys all thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
    I think we as moms put too much pressure on ourselves with these parties. What happened to a Wal-Mart sheet cake and a few balloons??? I;m guilty of it too. Therefore, my boys get to share a party next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a great time. SK always enjoys her time with Gaines!

    ReplyDelete